Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fighting Old Information and Sterotypes

I don't post about advocating for or educating about people with disabilities as often as I'd like. When I do find something well-written and informative, I like to share it with others. This is one of those instances. The following is written by a woman who is both a medical doctor and the mother of a child with Down syndrome. It is a powerful statement, in my opinion. And it really resonated with me, being involved in the medical community and also as a mother of a child with Down syndrome.

I really wish more people understood how much outdated information impacts the opinions of the general population (and the medical experts). I really wish the texts would be updated... like yesterday!

http://www.juliakinder.com/down-syndrome/changing-the-image-of-down-syndrome/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know what you think about my post! Please let me know you were here...