Friday, March 2, 2012

So Proud

I don't often write about Evan. Being your typical "boring" kid with nothing "unusual" going on, he doesn't get a lot of the spotlight on here. So tonight, I wanted to celebrate a great accomplishment for him. He has literally stunned me in that he's 23 months old and virtually taught himself to sight-read over 30 words (to date).

I had purchased a Preschool Prep learning DVD set. It included videos for letters, numbers, colors and shapes, which I thought would be a fun way to enhance Evan's learning of these subjects. My older kids wanted to watch the sight words videos which were also included. Evan, of course, was hanging around during these viewings over the last few weeks.

Last week, it came to my attention that he is recognizing some of these words. (in addition to having already learned all the letters, numbers, colors and shapes) So I sat down with him and recorded going through the flashcards. At the time, he was reading over 17 of the words on the cards. I checked again today and he's up to over 30 of the 45 provided words. I'm amazed.

Sure, I know there are kids out there who can read many more and more complicated words at Evan's age (or maybe a bit younger), but I haven't worked with him at all on this. And 6 months ago, he needed Early Intervention therapy to get his language skills up to par; I never would have guessed he would have come so far so easily. I guess all he needed was a nudge in the right direction.

I am SO thrilled that this little smarty-pants is going to be Levi's primary peer role model as he grows. Between his winning personality and tenderness towards others (except the occasional transgression) and his exceptional use of his talent, this little guy is quite the package!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know what you think about my post! Please let me know you were here...